Friday, May 13, 2011

Traditional dinners, or an excuse to get the family together?

I'm sure there are many families out there that celebrate the same dinners for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter etc. I'm also sure they are pretty predictable. The crazy aunts and uncles. The fights and quarrels between loved ones. Or that one family member that either gets too drunk or falls asleep every year. These are things to either cringe at the thought of, or look forward to. I for one, look forward to them. I don't see my cousins all the time, nor do I the rest of my family all the time. Even though we only live about 15 minutes away from each other. It's not because we don't like each other, but because our busy lives get in the way and we can't make the time.

I think it's great to have a tradition of getting together, and what better way than to involve food? Everyone eats, and you already have an idea what's on the menu. So why not? For Christmas we have Ham with all the sides. Thanksgiving we obviously have Turkey with the sides as well. When dinner is done, out comes the Tupperware and leftovers go home with everyone. I for one, LOVE leftovers. Turkey sandwiches? Who isn't a fan?

Sometimes my immediate family will have dinners that we deem "special". They consist of my Korean mothers food: Rice, Korean ribs, Kimchee (all different types), spicy pork, Lettuce, red bean paste, fish etc... This dinner is one of my favorites and is always the best. My parents and I don't normally sit at the table, or even have dinner at the same time. However, when my mom cooks a Korean meal, we are all sitting at the table and talking about our days. Again, a time where food brings my family together. And I love to eat! So I'm always there!

No comments:

Post a Comment